As you become wiser in years, your choice in clothing options may appear to become limited regardless of whether or not you have maintained a great figure. Women over 40 have an amazing energy and confidence that most 20 somethings would die for. A few things for you to become conscious of as you wisen up …..
1. Relax the black – As fabulous as it may have been in your 20’s and 30’s, black can appear a little harsh now. I’m not suggesting you toss it completely. It remains a classic option for some great pieces in your wardrobe. Now is the time to be more aware of the colours you wear close to your face. The harshness of black can emphasize signs of aging and tiredness, depending on how you wear it. You do have other options. Your personal stylist can help to ensure you don't become a slave to a colour wheel. There are new ways to learn your best colours now and you are smart enough to know when to seek help. Check in.
2. Wear a collar – A collared shirt will do wonders for a wiser jaw and neckline. It has the effect of providing some coverage for this area and creates the illusion of taking the eye up. The trick is to have the collar standing up at the back and gently slant the points down in front of your face.
3. Wear fabulous shoes – You know you can’t afford to compromise on this one. You don’t need several pairs that sit in the wardrobe any more. You need six to ten pairs of fabulous shoes that look stunning and feel fabulous. Master this and save your cash. Gel pads in your sandals are essential. They work.
4. Toss dated clothing – You have no option now but to keep yourself looking 100% current. Dated clothing zaps your confidence. This means that you just can’t wear that sundress that has been sitting in the wardrobe for the past 5 -10 years. Seriously, only classics last this long! Replace quality basics as they tire and inject 2-3 new pieces each season that work back with everything else. The best way to do this is with the assistance of a professional stylist.
6. Go long and lean – Employ some visual trickery to produce long, lean lines. Slim cut pant, a heel and a longer line top with flow just might work on you. Try it. Time to open your mind to something new.
7. Hoick em up – Consider the range of shapewear now available. Mother Nature always intended for us to get a little help here. Shapewear has come a long way. I think you will be impressed.
If this reasonates with you, hit the share button. Love to hear what you think!
Helen Robinett is a Melbourne Stylist helping business owners and executives to do more with less. She helps you define your style, simplifies the process and guides you to the right designers and boutiques to look after you.