Five things that let you know your leader has empathy:
If you wish to know the mind of a man, listen to his words. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Leaders who have empathy listen. They are not distracted by their computer or smart phone. They do not pick up the phone to speak to someone else while they are with you. They spend more time listening than talking. They seek to understand.
- They monitor your body language and listen for what is not being said. They know how to create a safe environment for you to speak up.
- They take a back seat and put the team first. The language they use 'we' not 'I'.
- They seek to understand what drives their team and how that aligns with the business vision.
- They have an open door policy, they welcome feedback and use it to effect change in the business.